Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Bloody Leo...

I developed an intense dislike for Leonardo Dicaprio after I saw Titanic. I couldn't watch him in any other role without picturing him yelling "I am the king of the world!" (This isn't his fault in any way, of course, and I recently read that the Titanic frenzy made him a little nauseous, too.) So it wasn't my idea to go see Blood Diamond. I sighed and rolled my eyes and then told my friend that I'd go but only because no one else would go with her. It turns out that she was doing me a favour by allowing me to discover an amazing film.

Danny Archer, played by Dicaprio, is a Rhodesian mercenary who is looking to make enough money to get out of Africa. While spending a night in jail Archer encounters Solomon Vandy, played by Djimon Honsou, a man who was forced to work in a rebel run diamond mine after his village was attacked. He gets free of the rebels during a government raid, but has been separated from his wife and children. He desperately wants to find them and Archer desperately wants a rare pink diamond that he believes Vandy can lead him to. Jennifer Connelly rounds out the trio of main characters as Maddy Bowen, an American journalist who wants to blow the illegal diamond trade wide open. She has the contacts and resources to find Vandy's family and Vandy will not help Archer unless he knows his family is safe.

The worst thing I can say about this film is that it was a bit long for me. It had some beautiful scenes and a lot of excitement, but two and a half hours is just too much.

Djimon Honsou was absolutely amazing. His Oscar nomination is well deserved and I hope he wins. Leonardo Dicaprio was good, partially because Honsou's intensity was a match for his own, and partially because he excels at playing characters who are morally ambiguous. Both men turned in great performances, but Jennifer Connelly didn't really add anything to the film. Her character seemed more like a plot device than anything else.

The relationship between Archer and Vandy is what really makes this movie worth watching. The two men are looking for the same thing, but for reasons on opposite ends of the moral scale. Somehow they manage to work together, but the results aren't what either one of them was expecting. *cue dramatic music*

Michelle

4 comments:

Canadianbigred said...

Leonardo was terrific in the Basketball Diaries, What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Marvin's Room. It was obvious he was a talent on the rise before he was 'the King of the World' in Titanic.

The Beach and Gangs of New York were terrible movies but Leonardo shone brightly, convincing me he was no one trick poney! (playing troubled and disturbed youth)

Catch Me If You Can and the Aviator placed him in the top echelon of his profession. This young man has the aptitude and da' skills!

The Departed left no room for debate. Leonardo made his costars look weak and foolish. (Jack who?) He is the real deal, he just might be the King of Hollywood!

Have doubts?...listen to the Best Picture Oscar acceptance speech by the producer of the Departed. He points out why he was up on the stage...and the name he mentioned was Leonardo.

Michelle said...

Leo's just not my cup of tea. I've never doubted his abilities, though, and I would never say he's a bad actor. He's definitely one of the highlights of Blood Diamond.
There are a lot of people in Hollywood that I don't care for, but I respect their talents. Of course, there are a lot of people in Hollywood that I don't like, because they don't have any talent at all.

Thanks for your comment! It's good to know that Irene's managed to get other people to read the blog!

Michelle

Michelle said...

You post an interesting opinion, mysterious canadianbigred. I agree with it as well. Michelle is just sore because it's 2 against 1 and she's on the losing end. I have enjoyed him on many an occasion. He also makes me feel kinda funny... kinda like the ropes in gym class.

Leo! If you read our post, please rest assured that the opinions of Michelle do not reflect the opinions of Irene and that Irene would certainly accept a Hybrid vehicle or something sparkly if you feel like treating her with a little something-something. I love you, man!!!

Michelle said...

Stop sucking up to your boyfriend, Irene!

Michelle