Thursday, February 1, 2007

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

I know it's pretty sad to start this blog with CHICK LIT of all things, but that's what I just finished reading. And even though I'm usually pretty dismissive of this genre, I have to say, this was one of the better examples.

Rachel's a successful attorney in New York City, but she hates her job and wishes she were more like her best friend, Darcy. Darcy's got everything - an exciting PR job, a six figure salary, a gorgeous fiancee and to make matters worse, she looks like a supermodel. But on the night of her 30th birthday party, Rachel discovers that maybe Darcy doesn't have everything after all...

This book poses a bit of moral dilemma for most women, because the heroine ends up having an affair with her best friend's fiancee. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, but for any woman I know, your best friend's man is untouchable. Despite her betrayal, though, Rachel is intensely likeable, a feeling that is enhanced by the fact that Darcy is detestable.

This novel is remarkable because it doesn't stick to conventional ideas of right and wrong. For me, chick lit has always seemed very formulaic. Something Borrowed breaks out of that formula a little bit and dares to be more interesting. I'd definitely recommend this novel to my girlfriends!

Michelle

No comments: