Tuesday, November 11, 2008

We don't need another holiday

I recently heard on the radio that more and more Canadians aren't aware of the significance of Remembrance Day. I was disgusted by this fact, but I was even more disgusted when I heard that there's a debate going on about whether Remembrance Day should be a national holiday. I'm sorry, but we're going to celebrate on a day that's meant for solemn reflection? It's hard to believe that Canadians have become so crass that we'll use Remembrance Day to try to get a day off work. I'm sure that there are many people in this country that would take the opportunity to attend a public memorial service, but what about those who don't know what we're supposed to be remembering? Every year there are fewer who remember and more who have forgotten or who just don't care.

So do our veterans a favour - take a few moments today to remember the past, spend half an hour educating yourself on the significance of this day and make sure your children are in school learning about those who came before us. Sacrifice a bit of time, don't ask that time be sacrificed for you.

No comments: