Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tender Is The Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This is only the second Fitzgerald novel that I've actually read. Of course, The Great Gatsby was required reading in 11th grade and while I appreciated the skill and passion with which the book was written I really didn't enjoy it. I reread it a few years ago and if anything I liked it even less. I have to admit that this made me feel a bit forlorn, as if I was missing out on something really great. But after reading Tender Is The Night I think I've figured out what the problem is.

I don't think Fitzgerald's writing is meant to be dissected and analysed in the way that's required of an English class. I enjoyed Tender Is The Night and I believed my enjoyment stemmed from the fact that I was able to pick it up and put it down whenever I pleased. It took me almost two weeks to read the book (which is unheard of for me), because I took my time. I wasn't scouring the pages for hidden symbols or themes or anything else that I could put into an essay. I was able to just fall into the story and let the characters show me the way. And it was a great experience.

So, this will henceforth be a lesson that I have learned: some authors require a softer touch when I'm reading their work. Their stories will not be rushed and in forcing the issue I risk missing the point.

No comments: